And did you get what you wanted, My Darling?

Monday, March 29, 2010

Numero Uno


I like the feeling of no one bothering me; of saying things out loud and then laughing a short moment later, knowing no one can hear. I like that feeling of walking along in a crowd, headphones in, wondering what people are thinking of me. I like that I do my best thinking on the toilet, or in the shower, that I talk to myself and that every so often I laugh openly at my own joke on public transport. Obviously I like spending time on my own.. So shoot me! 

It's easy to go along with social obligations, attending this dinner and organizing that coffee date. But I'll share a bit of the ol' KCameron's secret guide book to staving off the W.M.'s... Just Say No. Seriously, who the hell wants to be busy every night of the week? (I swear to God, if you've just raised your hand...) Granted that some people 'are just social butterflies' ... but honestly? I would rather die than not have my down time. That's right, I would die. I would just die, (hyperbole intended).
 
Getting caught up in social obligation is one of the most deadly traps around our socially driven, driveling society. You can't say no to one dinner date if you've said yes to another, because God forbid Susie might hear you broke bread with Jackson instead of her... Sound familiar? That's because everyone today thinks that sharing time between friends is what you're supposed to do with evenings after work and or study. Wrong. Incorrect. Not true. What you're meant to do is go home, chuck on the God damn relaxing Norah Jones (don't kid yourself, we all love her) and just breathe easy for a moment or two. And after a glass of wine, or maybe three or four, figure out who you want to have a yarn with and do exactly that!

Trust me, if I'd rather go bra shopping and pick up a Merlot that just happened to be on special, instead of joining a gaggle of girls for dinner, I will do exactly that. And I'll tell them, too. Sometimes the best thing to say when the dreaded social obligation comes up is to tell the truth. 'No thanks, I don't want to.' 

Take a little time for Numero Uno. After all, we all need a little TLC from the quiet voice within. 


No comments:

Post a Comment