And did you get what you wanted, My Darling?

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Home is where the heart is..?

It's tough, being blessed. Having so many things at your disposal you simply don't know what to do with them. Too many clothes, too many accessories, too many boys, too many friends. But what about when you have too many homes? Impossible? Nope. TCameron always said that I was a citizen of the world. She's not far off... I was born in St Louis Park, Minneapolis, Minnesota. I moved to Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada when I was 19 months old and at 8 years and 6 months I followed my Old Man's dollar honing skills yet again and wound up in The Land Down Under, Melbourne, Australia. I've lived there for 11 years and this year is the first time I've solidly considered it 'home'. Oh, I also posess a New Zealand passport. Go figure.

So what made me turn around and decide that Oz was home? Good question, I've been asking myself the same thing since my arrival in Winnipeg, 4 days ago. Usually I'm struck with a nostaligia that runs so deep I have to take a load off my feet. But this year, it took me 4 days before I wanted to walk the old haunts, and explore my childhood stomping grounds. Granted this morning, when I did finally hit the pavement in search of memories, I was welcomed by 2 hours of self indulgent smiling. But even still, I feel like a visitor here.

My family are here, my memories are here and if I wanted to get all yogi on you, I'd tell you that this is where my soul comes to rest. This place, with the sprawling front lawns that are greener than a hippy's thumb, is where I am most at ease. Then why isn't it home? Recently, just before my departure and our separation, I said to a special boy 'I am pretty excited to go home'. He frowned, and furrowing his brow said, 'You can't go home. You can go back, but home is wherever I am.' Did the twenty-something-year-old have a bit of wisdom in his whinge? I think maybe he did. Come July 15 he'll be in this haven with me, and I daresay my sense of 'home' will be restored.

But until then, I guess my home is a roaming one, and is most definitely where the heart is.

No comments:

Post a Comment